Monday, June 15, 2009

books

a few books i've been reading:

Putting Women in their Place...The Baptist Debate Over Female Equality. I am so intrigued by this book. It is a compilation of 12 different Baptist authors and their view on women's roles. Although I have only read the introduction and half of chapter one, I think i would already recommend it to others. I'm not sure if I agree with it yet, but it is definitely a thought-provoking read.

Jesus Wants to Save Christians: A Manifesto for the Church in Exile. Also a thought provoking read. The first half of this book was slooow going, but I really liked the last 2-3 chapters. Probably my favorite idea brought up was the idea of entitlement, and how (American) Christians feel entitled to what we have, like we've earned it, and that others are without because they haven't earned it. and how this entitlement complex is the root of our problems. I agree with a lot of this. However, sometimes don't like the way Rob Bell talks in such absolutes. I feel like he talks with such certainty on topics that are really uncertain (ie. the mark of the beast).


The Da Vinci Code. Definitely anti-church. but definitely fiction as well. I think as long as you can differentiate between truth and fiction, you can enjoy this book. I think i enjoyed this book for several reasons. 1) it was a good murder mystery...lots of plot twists, an unpredictable killer, lots of riddles, etc. 2) all of the mysteries were explained in a reasonable way--nothing supernatural (ie. a smoke monster). i appreciate both of those things.

on the list of books to come:


The Way We Were. How Southern Baptist Theology has changed and what it means to us all. This would be a part of my 6 month quest of theology-shaping literature in hopes of finding a seminary that best fits and will best cultivate my views and preferences.

recommendations are welcome.

2 Comments:

Blogger strickee said...

Any chance i could borrow that first book??

6/15/2009 8:46 PM  
Blogger Simple Guide said...

Hi Katy, I'm a former seminary grad myself. In 'God Wants to Save...', Bell helped me realize man's tendency to control others by using violence.

11/05/2014 9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home