Monday, October 29, 2007

thoughts.

so...i've been doing a little bit of traveling this semester. some for amie's wedding preparation, some for BSM events, and some for camp things. i've been gone from nac all but one weekend since i got back from the summer. for the most part, they've been enjoyable trips. so far this semester, i've been to dallas 3 times, franklin twice, waco once, college station once, tyler once, and amarillo once.

anyway...in general, i don't really mind to drive. however, i guess that i have reached my limit of hours in my car by myself. usually the ipod is enough to keep me entertained until i've reached my destination, but...i have begun to feel like i am just wasting my life away listening to music.
so...i bought an audiobook. a "book on tape" if you will. i'm usually a pretty visual learner. really NOT an audio learner, so i was hesitant. anyway....the point...i bought shane claiborne's irresistable revolution. it was recommended to me twice by two very different people, so i thought it was probably worth looking at. all this to say...i really am enjoying it. it is definitely a lot to take in. part of it seems a little preachy or "my way is the right way", but i think it helps that i am listening to him speak it...like i can get his tone or hear him laugh when he's joking or i can realize that he's not really being as cynical as he is optimistic.
yes....i like it. but, i think it was the wrong book to buy in an audio version. i think i need a good storyline to listen to...not some deep theological/spiritual content. i need to read and reread that kind of thing. i need to sit it down and come back to what i've underlined in half an hour. this is hard when i don't have paper. or a bookmark.
anyway...all of this to say...i like the book. i feel like it articulates a lot of the feelings i have inside of me. and challenges me in somewhat personal ways. i would definitely recommend the first 4 hours of it to you. i'll get back to you on the last 4.
i look forward to listening more next weekend. yes.

destinations for the remainder of the semester: back to dallas, then waco, austin, and finally franklin for wedding of the century (pictures SURE to follow.)

2 Comments:

Blogger sunnyday04 said...

Hey Katy,
I feel sorry for you having to drive all over Texas every weekend. I am pretty sure that I am physically and mentally incapable of sitting still for the entire duration of the trip from B/CS to Dallas. I made my first venture into Dallas last month for a concert, and it was pure torture. I tried an audio book once, and I found it just flat out hilarious. I could not get into it at all, granted it was Harry Potter. So, it featured an elder British man mimicking the voices of a lot of adolescent English boys and girls. I also found him talking about all sorts of HP nonsense funny too. But, then again I get a kick out of a whole bunch of things. But, if you decide to switch back to listen to music you should check out Brandi Carlile. I became slightly obsessed with their music over the past 8 months or so. I saw that you put Ingrid Michaelson on your facebook profile as a 'favorite,' and I'm actually going to get a chance to see her next month. One of my best friends got me a terrific Christmas present this year... a trip to Portland (which is where I'm moving after graduation) to see a concert up there featuring: Brandi Carlile, Collective Soul, KT Tunstall, David Gray and Ingrid Michaelson. Best.Gift.Ever :P Sorry for rambling, it's just that kind of day. Glad to hear you are doing well!

11/02/2007 6:34 PM  
Blogger Becky Rabb said...

AUSTIN!!!!! YAY! where are you going in austin? and why?

11/05/2007 5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home